The Young Living Essential Oils Veterinary Advisory Council provides valuable insight into the development of our pioneering essential oils and oil-infused products. This professional organization comprises prominent scientific professionals from around the globe, uniting years of experience in natural products. The council’s unmatched leadership, expertise, and passion for essential oil innovation is redefining the way the world thinks about wellness.
You’re passionate about your pets, so all-natural, non-toxic products are the only option. Give your four-legged friends shampoo, essential oils, and other products designed especially for them.
Most animals are more sensitive than humans to essential oils.
- Start by diluting heavily and use in moderation.
- Every animal is different, so carefully observe how each animal responds to the oils. Use common sense and good judgment as you try different methods.
- Take special care to not get essential oils in an animal’s eyes.
- Avoid using high-phenol oils such as Oregano and Thyme with any animals, especially cats.
- Use special caution when using essential oils with cats. Cats are also generally adverse to citrus essential oils. Citrus products and pine oils in particular. Please see the section on oils for cats for further information.
Testimony by an pet owner and how he deals with fleas and ticks.
Why are Essential Oils Effective as Tick Repellent for Dogs?
Therapeutic level essential oils are very efficient at repelling ticks because pests and insects do not like the smell of the oils. However, you will have to use them more frequently but your pets will get all the benefits of essential oils!
How much and how often you have to apply the oils will depend on the general health of your pet, where you live, how big your pet is and what your pet does during the day.
My dog goes to the barn most days where she meets four to six other dogs daily; but we don’t have a huge tick population so I don’t need to use it very often. But, she is constantly bombarded by fleas and flies so I definitely need to use oils daily to combat fleas!
But, with a little bit of experimentation you will find the best oils for your situation and for your pet. And the right frequency!
What Essential Oils do I use for Tick Repellent for Dogs?
These are the oils that you can use for dog tick prevention. Just click on any if these essential oils and it will tell you more information.
- #3554 Geranium
- #3572 Juniper
- #3650 Thyme
- #3560 Grapefruit
- #3605 Oregano
- #3593 Myrrh
- #3607 Palo Santo
- #3399 Purification – Purification® Essential Oil Blend helps freshen the air and eliminate odors with its unique combination of Citronella, Lemongrass, Lavandin, Rosemary, Tea Tree, and Myrtle essential oils, and includes naturally occurring compounds cineol, neral, and geranial. Add Purification oil to Animal Scents™ products to moisturize skin and improve the appearance for healthy looking skin or apply topically to enjoy the outdoors annoyance free. (Humans and Pets.)
- #5272 RepelAroma —a unique combination of Citronella, Idaho Tansy, Palo Santo, and Melaleuca Alternifolia—your pet will enjoy being outside with this purifying and invigorating blend.