It’s Day 9 of the 14 Day Essential Oil Challenge and we’re talking about how to use Thieves essential oil. Young Living carries 20 different products in their popular Thieves line, but today we’re going to talk about Thieves essential oil only. We will cover all of the other products in the Thieves product line in a future series that I have planned call The Toxin-Free Family, so today let’s just focus on the oil itself. If you only use ONE oil from your kit, let it be this oil!
First let’s see how you can use it safely:
SAFE WAYS TO USE THIEVES ESSENTIAL OIL:
- Aromatically in your home diffuser or inhaling straight from the bottle
- Topically; Apply 2 drops as needed. Dilution is required. This is a hot oil. Do not use on small children or babies.
- Dietary: Use Thieves Vitality oil for ingestion.
First off, why is it called “Thieves” oil? So there was this old legend about four French thieves who came up with this special blend of herbs and spices that they used while robbing the dead and dying way back in the 15th century. Thieves oil was formulated using the herbs from that legend. Today it is one of Young Living’s most popular products.
Thieves is one of the oils that we use almost daily during the winter to help keep us above the wellness line. I keep a rollerball mixed with half Thieves and half carrier oil on all of our nightstands, and every night before bed we roll it onto the bottoms of our feet.
Why the feet, you ask?
For starters, the bottoms of your feet are an excellent place to apply “hot” essential oils so that you don’t accidentally rub them in a sensitive place. Secondly, essential oils have a unique ability to penetrate cell membranes and travel throughout your entire body within about 20-30 seconds, so your feet are as good a place as any when applying oils for overall wellness. Also, as you apply the roller ball to your feet you’ll get the benefit of inhaling the oils as well. You can Google “Vita Flex Technique” to learn more about using essential oils on your feet.
Here are 20 ways you can start using Thieves oil in your home today.
- Apply diluted to bottoms of feet every night before bedtime during winter months to support healthy immune function*
- Put a few drops in an empty vegetable capsule and swallow with water to support your immune system*
- Diffuse Thieves for 20-30 minutes a day to help promote wellness around the house (May help eliminate airborne bacteria).
- Diffuse as needed in basements and other areas of your home that lack ventilation to remove musty odors.
- Add several drops to laundry – especially sheets and towels- to remove odors and help clean things up after one of “those” nights with your kids.
- Add several drops to a paper towel or cotton ball and place in any areas of your home need some air purifying.
- Diffuse a few drops with Orange, Tangerine or Nutmeg for a festive fall scented home during the holidays.
- Add 1 drop Thieves and 1 drop Orange to warm apple juice for a homemade apple cider in the fall.
- Drink “Thieves Tea” in the winter for a boost. Add 1 drop Thieves and 3 drops Lemon to a mug of hot water along with honey to taste. Sip until soothed.
- Make these delicious Honey Throat Drops.
- Clean your dishwasher naturally with Thieves and vinegar. A few drops in your dishwater or dishwasher will thoroughly clean dishes and eliminate odor.
- Make your own Thieves Hand Purifier Gel or Hand Spray. Use it for travel to spritz on hands, door handles, sink faucets and more.
- Make your own Thieves Foaming Hand Soap.
- Need a quick gift idea? Make an all natural Car Care Kit for Father’s Day.
- Add 10 drops of Thieves to 2 cups baking soda. Shake together in an airtight container, then sprinkle on carpets and vacuum for an instant deodorizer.
- Add 3-4 drops of Thieves to your mop water before mopping kitchen and baths for extra cleaning power.
- Or Add 1 or 2 drops of Thieves to a steam mop to use on floors.
- Put 8-10 drops Thieves in an 8 ounce spray bottle of distilled water. Shake and spritz around the room for an instant air freshener.
- Mix together 2 drops Thieves, 2 drops peppermint, 1 cup epsom salt and 1/4 cup Alkalime in a tub of warm water for a refreshing foot bath.
- Keep a bottle of Thieves at your desk. Open bottle and inhale throughout the day for a quick pick-me-up.
What are your favorite ways to use Thieves in your house?
Click here for a simple Apple Cider recipe:
Click here for my Thieves and Lemon Honey Hand Scrub Recipe:
For today’s challenge I want you to mix up a roller ball with half Thieves and half carrier oil. Roll it onto the bottoms of your feet each night for a few weeks and see how you feel. 🙂
Thieves™ blend contains these popular essential oils:
- Cinnamon Bark
- Eucalyptus Radiata
Oil Safety and Interactions:
- Be sure to dilute with a carrier oil if skin sensitivity occurs.
- Do not apply to babies or small children.
- Like ALL essential oils, keep out of reach of children so they don’t accidentally swallow it. Call 911 immediately if this happens.
- Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes. This is a very hot oil.
- If you are taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use.
- Do not store above room temperature.
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure disease.
CONTINUE THE CHALLENGE…