My husband will tell you that I absolutely hate to cook. It has never been something I enjoyed and so I avoid it whenever
possible. However, with three kids and a hungry husband that needs feeding, I am left with no choice.
Breakfast has been a challenge for me. Especially something easy, fast and nourishing.
These are some of my favorites …
1. Qia Cereal – I discovered this cereal a few years ago while working at a locally owned health food store in Richmond. It contains a mixture of chia, buckwheat and hemp seeds with dehydrated fruit. I eat it with Almond Milk, but you can use whichever milk preference you like. In summer I like it cold, but in winter I heat up with milk so it’s nice and warm. Now, usually you need to let this sit for about 10 minutes before you eat it, but here’s my fast breakfast secret. I bought a 6 pack of small glass mason jars and once a week I mix my Qia with the Almond milk, pop on the lids and keep them in the refrigerator. All I have to do in the morning is grab my jar and a spoon and it’s ready to eat. It doesn’t get any faster or easier than that and it’s really good for you!
2. Smoothies – Smoothies, whether a fruit smoothie or another kind can be a smart way to start your day. I usually grab my NutriBullet mixer, throw in my ingredients, mix them up, slap on a lid and I’m good to go. You can find some of my favorite recipes in this post. You can take a day, prewash and cut your ingredients and throw them in a container so all you have to do in the morning is empty into your blender, mix and go! I usually add a scoop of raw protein powder to my smoothies and that keeps me satisfied throughout the morning.
If you’re not vegan and want to try something really yummy, you should make this Cake Batter Smoothie. I haven’t made it in a long time, but it is amazing!!!
3. Frozen Pancakes – No, not the kind you buy at the grocery store. There are great recipes for pancakes out there. You can make vegan pancakes, whole grain pancakes, gluten-free pancakes, etc. All of them healthy and good-for-you. Set aside a time and make bunch, then freeze them for reheating later. Whether you choose to top them with organic maple syrup, fresh fruit or nothing at all, you can make this treat a fast and nutritious breakfast for the whole family.
4. Breakfast Burritos – You can put these together any way you choose and either refrigerate or freeze them during the week. Your options are only as limited as your imagination. Find or make a healthy tortilla of your choosing (and here again, there are many choices – gluten-free, vegan, whole grain) and load it up with your favorite fillings. Eggs, egg whites, no egg, cheese, no cheese, veggies, meats, etc. Make these the kind of burritos you enjoy, wrap them up and they are a great on-the-go healthy meal.
5. Make your own Breakfast/Granola Bars – There are a lot of great breakfast bar ideas on the internet. Find one that you like and make a huge batch to freeze. Again, you can make these as healthy or decadent as you like. They are a fantastic alternative to those store-bought processed bars or pop tarts that seem to be the go-to for busy families.
I hope you will try some of these fast, easy, healthy and delicious breakfast recipes for yourself and your family.