When I first moved to the US I was knocked sideways by the drug commercials. I had never seen anything like it before. In the UK at the time, we didn’t have commercials for drugs, ever. And then they list the side effects. Listed one by one at speed like an auctioneer. What is that? Side effects may include:.. blah blah, sounds awful and in some cases even death”. YIKES!
What happens when you turn 40?
Maybe its the awareness, Maybe I was young in the UK and was not even remotely interested (who cares about healthcare when you are young and indestructible?), or I was ignorant. Maybe all of them. Now, I am starting to pay a bit more attention. You all know by now, my genes are not the best and I recently turned 40, ok, ok, I am 42 this year! They say your body starts to go downhill at 40? Well, besides a little extra fluff (that I am taking care of with some good old fashioned exercise and clean eating), I am not doing so bad. Well….. I don’t want to brag, but I feel pretty damn awesome.
Ok, so I am not here to tell you western medicine is not needed, because it absolutely is. I also can’t tell you that essential oils can’t cure you, because they don’t. (They can support your body so it does what it is created to do). I’m here to merely suggest that you empower your own healthcare. Its a controversial topic, especially now. I’m also not saying that we should all use Web MD and diagnose everything ourselves (We all have a friend that does tho, don’t we?) but just be aware and take charge of your own health. For example: Whether you get the flu shot or not, do you know what’s in it? When you take a prescription drug are you aware of all the side effects and are you ok if one happens to you?
Are we treating the symptom or the cause?
What does get under my skin is how much is prescribed based on a symptom vs a cause. If you can’t sleep, you get a sleeping tablet. Lets look at why you aren’t sleeping. is it hormones, is it your environment? Stress, it could be so many things.
If you get migraines, do you need a pain pill, or is it caused my chemical toxins in your home? For me synthetic fragrances will give me a headache quicker than anything.
Allergies? We stopped using Nasal allergy sprays and pills after we removed all toxins from our home: Plug ins, cleaners, laundry detergent, perfumes, air fresheners etc
Bad PMS? Have you see the hormone disrupting indredients in your house hold cleaners and personal care products? This is a brilliant article outline the dangers. https://www.niehs.nih.gov/health/topics/agents/endocrine/
Prevention or a cure?
I also believe in prevention over a cure. Did I tell you the story about me getting braces? It really irked me a lot that a preventative treatment wasn’t covered. (I had to get braces to correct my bite so I didn’t lose teeth, or have crowns that lasted only a few years). Here’s how the conversation went with my dad; Me: I am getting braces dad, its costing about $7k. Dad: Why are you doing that?! What for? Me: Dad, if you had the option to go back in time and keep your teeth, would you? Dad: Yes, I would.
It’s about protecting our future. What are we doing now to be healthier for the future?
Living a healthy lifestyle
I was reading an article recently that said given dire conditions only 7 our of 1oo would actually change their lifestyle. The main reason? People don’t know how or where to start. I am lucky that my degree is in Home Economics, because I learned a little bit while I was young.
- Start with your plate. “Whatever you put in your body you are either fighting disease or feeding it”. Eat your 5 a day. Eat organic where you can. Eat lean protein (chicken, turkey and fish). Have red meat rarely, (not a rare steak. just not very often) 😉 If you struggle to eat 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day, consider juicing or taking a supplement like Ningxia red or multigreens. Avoid processed, canned or fast food. They aren’t real ingredients, are high in sodium and don’t give you the nutrients you need.
- Get off the couch and Exercise. Don’t get me wrong, binge watching House of Cards or Game of thrones might be good for your soul, but it won’t help you in the long run. Toxins are expelled from your body through #1, #2, Breathing and sweating. Working out takes care of 2 of those. It also gets your heart and lungs pumping to make them strong. You don’t have to run a marathon or do a mud race, just a walk around the block is better than nothing
- Drink plenty of water. You should aim for 8 glasses a day (remember toxins are expelled through #1). Drinking water helps flush your system AND a hydrated body works way more efficiently. Struggle to drink plain water? Add a drop of your favorite vitality essential oil: Lemon, Lime, Orange, Grapefruit. It will make your water taste better AND you get the benefits. (lemon helps you go #2 – See point 2
- Manage Stress. Ok, easier said than done I know. Mediate, breath, exercise. Find out what your ‘thing’ is. Diffuse lavender, stress away, lemon, orange, Believe – something that will help take your shoulders down from your ears).
- Take a (good) multi. I like Master Formula from Young Living
- Be positive. According to science every single ailment we have comes from an emotion. Yup.
- Avoid Chemicals and toxins. They are everywhere. won’t know? Check out the products you use at www.ewg.org Essential oils are the bridge to a chemical free life.
My dear friends. I may have overwhelmed you. Its not a destination. Its a journey we live every day. Believe me, there are days I want to eat bad food, sit on the couch all day and watch movies. And some days that’s just what I do. But remember this: One good Choice is better than none at all.
What are you doing today to invest in your future health?