I need to start this blog with an apology to my friend Lori. When I started with Young Living essential oils about 18 months ago, I started on a toxin free lifestyle. At the time I first met Lori she talked about how her being around regular household cleaners, perfumes or plug in type things gave her an instant headache and that her brain gave a significant objection to these synthetics. I thought it was a bit far-fetched and while I didn’t roll my eyes, I may as well have.
I didn’t make the change all at once, but over time I removed toxins from my life. Young Living offers a variety of house hold products all made using essential oils and absolutely no chemicals or synthetic ingredients. As a result, I have more energy, I sleep better, my immune system is strong and I haven’t been sick and I feel happier in general.
Now I find myself in situations where my brain instantly objects to synthetics and overly toxic places and when I found myself in a situation this weekend, I finally got what she was talking about. I got an instant migraine and felt a little nauseous. It was not fun. My body is just not used to those chemicals anymore!
Over time, I have worked to eliminate things from my life that cause disruption: See Body Burden
- Removed all plastic containers and glasses. All that Tupperware you heat in the microwave releases toxins. I switched to Glass containers and regular glasses. Costco has a great deal on Glass snap containers.
- All those candles and plug ins? Throw them out. I like the atmosphere of candles, but the diffuser is so much nicer. The candles and plugs in release toxins.
- Perfume? Use essential oils instead
- Personal care products? Face wash, lotions, shower Gel, Bubble bath (I know!). I made my own. See here for my recipes
- I had a small epiphany when I was chopping peppers on my island after cleaning it . Luckily I use an essential oil based cleaner that is non toxic or else it would have been all over my pepper. I challenge you to put all your cleaners in a garbage bag and put them in the garage. Use only this cleaner for a month and make a note of hour you feel. All those cleaners (Windex, bleach, Clorox) all release toxins in the air that you breathe. Your animals suffer too.
- This was a big one for me and the last thing I switched. I LOVED the smell of laundry, but it is the highest pollutant in your home. Here is an alternative for soap, fabric softener and dryer sheets.
- Hand Soap. I used to be a bath and body works addict, but all those synthetic fragrances? You guessed it Toxic. I make my own now or use the Thieves foaming hand soap.
I am still adjusting things in my life and I learn something new every single day. The journey is fun! I get to learn how to have a healthier lifestyle that will stay with me forever. Even better than that, I get to help people do the same thing by paying my learnings forward.
I’d love to hear your story.